Percentages are a common way to express a proportion of a whole. Understanding how to calculate percentage is a valuable skill that can be used in various situations, from finance and economics to everyday life. In this blog post, we’ll provide a step-by-step guide on how to calculate percentage.
Table of Contents
How to Calculate Percentage Using Step-by-Step Guide
Calculating a percentage involves converting a portion or a fraction of a number to its equivalent value out of 100. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to calculate a percentage:
Step 1: Write the fraction as a decimal To calculate a percentage, you need to first convert the fraction to a decimal. To do this, divide the numerator (top number) by the denominator (bottom number) of the fraction. For example, if you want to find the percentage of 3 out of 5, divide 3 by 5 to get 0.6.
Step 2: Multiply the decimal by 100 To convert the decimal to a percentage, multiply it by 100. In our example, 0.6 multiplied by 100 gives you 60%.
Step 3: Round off the answer (optional) If required, you can round off the answer to the nearest whole number, tenth, or hundredth.
For example: if you got 73.84% as your answer, you can round it off to 74%, 73.8%, or 73.84%, depending on the level of precision you need.
Here’s an example of calculating a percentage:
Question: What is 25% of 80?
Step 1: Convert the percentage to a decimal To convert 25% to a decimal, divide it by 100: 25 ÷ 100 = 0.25
Step 2: Multiply the decimal by the whole number To find 25% of 80, multiply 0.25 by 80: 0.25 x 80 = 20
Step 3: Round off the answer (optional) Since 20 is already a whole number, there’s no need to round it off.
Therefore, 25% of 80 is 20.
That’s it! You have now learned how to calculate a percentage using a step-by-step guide.
What Is percentage formula.
The percent formula is used to express a number as a fraction of 100. It is commonly used in a variety of applications, including finance, science, and statistics.
The percent formula can be expressed as:
Percent = (Part / Whole) x 100
- Part: the portion or fraction of the whole that is being considered.
- Whole: the total amount or quantity that the part represents.
- Percent: the fraction of the whole expressed as a percentage.
For example, if you want to calculate the percentage of students who scored above 80% in a test, and there were 250 students in the class, and 70 students scored above 80%, you can use the percent formula as follows:
Percent = (70 / 250) x 100 = 28%
Therefore, 28% of the students scored above 80% in the test.
How to find percentage of two numbers.
To find the percentage of two numbers, you need to divide one number by the other, and then multiply the result by 100 to express it as a percentage. Here are the steps to follow:
- Divide the smaller number by the larger number.
- Multiply the result by 100.
- Round the result to the desired number of decimal places.
For example, let’s say you want to find the percentage of 25 out of 100:
- Divide 25 by 100: 25/100 = 0.25
- Multiply by 100: 0.25 * 100 = 25
- The percentage of 25 out of 100 is 25%.
Another example: let’s say you want to find the percentage of 75 out of 120:
- Divide 75 by 120: 75/120 = 0.625
- Multiply by 100: 0.625 * 100 = 62.5
- The percentage of 75 out of 120 is 62.5%.
How to calculate percentage of marks.
To calculate the percentage of marks obtained by a student, follow these steps:
- Add up the total marks obtained by the student in all subjects.
- Divide the total marks obtained by the total number of subjects.
- Multiply the result by 100 to get the percentage.
For example, if a student scores 80 marks in English, 85 in Maths, and 70 in Science out of a total of 100 marks for each subject, the calculation for the overall percentage would be as follows:
Total marks obtained = 80 + 85 + 70 = 235 Total number of subjects = 3 Percentage = (235/300) x 100 = 78.33%
Therefore, the student’s overall percentage of marks is 78.33%.
How to calculate percentage of money.
To calculate the percentage of money, you need to multiply the amount of money by the percentage expressed as a decimal. Here are the steps to follow:
- Convert the percentage to a decimal by dividing it by 100. For example, if the percentage is 25%, divide 25 by 100 to get 0.25.
- Multiply the amount of money by the decimal representation of the percentage. For example, if you want to calculate 25% of $200, multiply $200 by 0.25:
$200 x 0.25 = $50
So 25% of $200 is $50.